Québec is a prosperous and dynamic society whose economy is highly integrated with those in the rest of Canada and in the United States. It’s a society based on equal opportunities and merit, where vocational skills are valued and salaries are competitive. Thanks to a strong job market and sustained growth, Québec is experiencing its lowest unemployment rate since 43 years. Over the next few years, employment opportunities—particularly those requiring vocational training—will be vital for people who wish to enter the job market. Employment opportunities for vocational training graduates in all sectors are therefore very interesting and will remain so for the next few years.
The Québec job market is characterized by:
- A low unemployment rate (4.9%, lowest rate since 43 years*).
- One of the highest employment rates among OECD countries.
- Easy accessibility to women (they hold nearly half of all jobs, representing one of the highest rates in the world).
- The advocacy of vocational training careers.
- Good working conditions.
*Statistics Canada – June, 2019
Job market outlook in Québec
- Due to the number of people retiring between now and 2024, nearly 27% of vocational jobs occupied in 2014 will have to be refilled.
- The unemployment rate will go down in all regions of Québec.
- Job prospects will be very good, particularly for young graduates, people who are unemployed and immigrants.
Source: Le marché du travail et l’emploi par industrie au Québec : Perspectives à moyen (2015-2019) et à long terme (2015-2024) (in French )
To find out more, please consult the following resources:
- Je choisis Montréal Website : Job offer for international students
- Emploi-Québec website: Labour market information
- Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) website: Québec cultural values in the job market
- The Government of Canada’s website to find out the wages for different occupations
- To facilitate your integration into Québec society and the job market, the Learning About Québec guide offers you information on all aspects of living and working in Québec!
You want to work in Québec? We can help!
Each year, Québec’s school board network assigns us a selection of vocational training programs for international students. These programs are chosen every year based on the growing labour needs of the job market.
With our Québec métiers d’avenir services, we will support you through every step of the application process. Whether it’s for your Québec Acceptance Certificate and study permit (which will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week during your studies), or your co-op student work permit, we are here to help you—free of charge!
Upon completion of your training, we will advise you on how to obtain your post-graduation work permit in order to work in Québec after your studies.